Quality content going against the prevailing winds of the internet.

 a privileged vegan

a privileged vegan

Welcome! I created this channel to talk about pro-intersectional justice, always making sure that humans and other animals are a part of that conversation. I also like to find cool activists and interview them about their work/ views/projects. Follow me on Facebook and say hi! xxx

Vegans for Justice: Palestine and Israel

*More information | VIDEO ANNOTATION: 1) The original state of Israel, created on Palestinian land, was meant to take anywhere from 52% to 56% of the land that was once Palestine, with the rest going to the Palestinians. When the Zionists came in they started going around from town to town, massacring the Palestinians and forcing them out in what is called the ‘Nakba’. Many of those Palestinians who were forced out and their descendants are still living as refugees today. However, in some areas, the Palestinians were ‘allowed’ to stay, provided they submitted to living as second class citizens under the laws of the new state. Those Palestinians and their descendants became Israeli citizens–and therefore had some legal rights, whereas the others, who were driven out into the Palestinian territories or who lived in those areas in the first place, did not. In response to the Nakba, the surrounding countries jumped in to the Palestinians’ defense in an attack on the newly-formed state of Israel. They lost, and Israel took over more of the land–a LOT more. By the 1950’s, Israel had taken over 78% of the land, leaving the Palestinians with only 22%. In 1967, there was the Six Day War, where Israel took over that remaining 22% of land, so that then they controlled ALL of what had once been Palestine–100% of the land. Even though it is illegal by the standards of international law, they still occupy the Palestinian territories today. That is what is meant by the “illegal occupation of Palestine”–not Israel itself, which is the 78% of what was originally the country of Palestine, but their ongoing military occupation of that last 22%. That is also where the Jews-Only settlements are–because unlike Israel itself, that land is still being actively colonized. In the occupied territories the population is Palestinian, and the only Israelis that live there live in these fortress-like settlements that are surrounded by barbed wire fences and guarded by the occupying Israeli army. That’s in the West Bank–in Gaza, there are no Israelis living there now, but the entire area and all of its borders are controlled by Israel, where the Palestinian inhabitants can’t leave or come back without Israeli permission, and where the Israelis have been intentionally blocking them from being able to import or export anything. 2) There is a difference between Palestinians living in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories, or as permanent refugees in other countries, and the Palestinians living within ‘Israel’ itself. At the time of the creation of the Israeli state back in 1948, some of the Palestinians were ‘allowed’ to stay in their homes provided they accepted living as 2nd or 3rd class citizens under the new Jewish state. Those Palestinians and their descendants became Israeli citizens, whereas the others, in the occupied territories, never did. The ones with Israeli citizenship are often referred to as ‘Israeli Arabs’, and although they are denied many rights in Israel, they do at least have SOME rights under Israeli law. This is used by Israeli propaganda, because the Israelis say: look! they have rights under our ‘democracy’, their situation is far better than it would be in many Muslim countries, etc. (Which is terribly racist and Islamophobic, but I digress.) And while the ‘Israeli Arabs’ who live within Israel do have some rights, the Palestinians living in the Israeli-occupied territories of Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem have NO rights under Israeli law, are NOT citizens of Israel–and in fact, have no recognized citizenship in any country. That is why Israelis can kill them, torture them, maim them with such impunity. Hardly anyone in the West realizes this, the vast majority of Westerners who go there only go to Israel itself and not the occupied territories, and thus they can simply pretend it doesn’t exist. If you are interested in learning more about the occupation, you can join the closed group Disrupt Zionism on Facebook here! – BIG thank you to Laura Schleifer, who runs Disrupt Zionism and wrote out this explanation. Zavi’s tumblr! First vegan bakery: BDS: Great infographics: Introductory documentary: Occupation 101 Jewish Voice for Peace: Myth of Vegan Progress in Israel: Additional sources used for video: Map, history, statistics- Meat consumption statistics: